What will we be discussing in this annuity review of the Jackson National MarketProtector Advisory 7-Year Annuity?In this review, we will be going over the following details regarding the MarketProtector Advisory 7-Year Annuity from Jackson National Life Insurance Company:
- Type of annuity
- How this annuity works
- Benefits and drawbacks
- Charges and fees
- Why you may or may not want to consider this particular annuity
Annuities can be complex. That’s where having an Annuity Investigator who loves math comes in. We make the complex, simple.
For more than 50 years, Jackson National has been in the business of helping individuals, couples, and families grow and protect wealth. As one of America’s top annuity providers, Jackson has a focus on educating people about how annuities work, and how they may – or may not – be right for everyone. The company ended the 2019 year with more than $22 billion in total sales and deposits, with fixed indexed annuities making up approximately $3.8 billion of that, and fixed annuities coming in with an additional $1.2 billion. In total, Jackson held nearly $298 billion in total IFRS assets. Jackson National has accumulated some nice achievements, too, particularly in the life insurance and annuity arena, including the ranking of the:
- #1 seller of annuities in the U.S. during 2019
- #1 ranking in variable annuity sales in the U.S. during 2019
- #12 largest seller of fixed-rate deferred annuities in the U.S. during 2019
- #7 largest seller of fixed indexed annuities in the U.S. during 2019
- 7th largest U.S. life insurance company (as ranked by total statutory assets).
- 15th largest U.S. life insurance company (as ranked by general account assets).
- 21st largest U.S. life insurance company (as ranked by statutory surplus plus asset valuation reserve and interest maintenance reserve).
How Jackson National Describes the MarketProtector Advisory 7-Year AnnuityIn early 2018, Jackson National Life Insurance company launched two new fixed annuities with index-linked growth. These were the MarketProtector and the MarketProtector Advisory. Each of these come in a 5-year and a 7-year option. They both also offer some similar key features, such as:
- Indexes – These annuities track the S&P 500 and the MSCI EAFE, which are two broad-based indices that allow consumers to grow their interest. These 100% equity indexes can be independently tracked, and they have historical data available to illustrate past performance. (Although, past performance is never an indicator of future results).
- Credit Methodologies – The income that is received from the MarketProtector annuities from Jackson National can increase by allocating index gains via two crediting methods – annual reset point to point performance trigger, and annual reset point to point. Both of these options can help investors earn interest in a variety of market conditions.
- Indexed Option Periods – There is no withdrawal charge for the MarketProtector Advisory annuity. (With this annuity, however, advisor compensation is fee-based).
- IncomeAccelerator – IncomeAccelerator is an optional add-on benefit that offers the ability to obtain a protected lifetime income stream. This added benefit is available for an additional charge to investors who are between the ages of 50 and 80 at the time of purchase.
Is the Jackson National MarketProtector Advisory 7 Annuity Right for You?While there are many factors that need to be taken into consideration when you are buying an annuity, one of the biggest concerns is making sure that the annuity is truly right for what you want – and need – it to do. With regard to the MarketProtector Advisory 7 fixed index annuity from Jackson National Life Insurance Company, you can rest assured that you will have an income for life. But at the same time, depending on your other goals and needs, this product may still fall a bit short – and there quite frankly could very well be something else out there that is a better fit for you. If you have any additional questions on this, or other income-related products, we are here to help. We can also run side by side annuity comparisons in order to determine how various annuities might perform. So please feel free to contact us directly via our secure online contact form here. This is an independent product review, not a recommendation to buy or sell an annuity. Jackson National has not endorsed this review in any way, nor do we receive any type of compensation for providing this review. This review is meant to be an independent review at the request of readers so that they may see our perspective when breaking down the positives and negatives of this particular annuity. Prior to purchasing any type of investment or insurance product, it is important that you do your own due diligence and that you consult a properly licensed professional if you should have any specific questions that relate to your individual circumstances. All names, marks, and materials that were used for this review are the property of their respective owners.
How Jackson National Describes the MarketProtector Advisory 7 AnnuityJackson National does a great job of providing numerous resources regarding their annuities. In fact, you can find a lot of updated rate and index information, as well as more in-depth information on how the return on this annuity may be credited, based on your personal choices. But in a nutshell, the MarketProtector Advisory 7 from Jackson is described as a fixed indexed annuity that allows you to combine the advantages of a traditional fixed annuity – such as safety – with the potential for additional interest, which is linked to the return of a chosen index (or even more than one index). In the case of the MarketProtector annuity, you can allocate funds to the S&P 500 index and/or the MSCI EAFE index. You can choose an indexed option for seven years. (Although Jackson National also offers the MarketProtector 5 and 10, in which the indexed period corresponds with your choice of either five or ten years). It is important to note, though, that the longer your indexed period is, the longer the surrender charge will also be – meaning that you could be penalized with a surrender charge if you withdraw more than 10% of the contract’s value within that given time period. So just keep in mind that if you get a little more, you also have to give a little more! There are actually three different crediting methods that you can choose from with the Jackson National MarketProtector 7-year annuity. These include:
- Annual Reset Point to Point Cap
- Annual Reset Point to Point Participation Rate with Spread
- Annual Reset Point to Point Performance Trigger
|Crediting Method||Annual Reset Point to Point Cap||Annual Reset Point to Point Participation Rate with Spread||Annual Reset Point to Point Performance Trigger|
|Ideal Market Environment||Rising||Bull||Flat|
|How It Works||Receive the percentage increase in an index up to the annual cap||Receive the partial percentage of an index minus an annual spread||Receive the crediting rate with a flat or positive return in an index|
|Contract Value Protection||Yes||Yes||Yes|
- Extended Care Waiver
- Terminal Illness Waiver
- Death Benefit
How a Financial Advisor Might Present the Market Protector Advisory Annuity to YouFixed indexed annuities like the MarketProtector 7 from Jackson National can provide a nice list of benefits. But they can also contain a great deal of “moving parts,” as well as fine print that can oftentimes lead to even more confusion. This is true for both consumers and some financial professionals. Typically, even though insurance and financial advisors truly want to help their clients, they will gloss over some pertinent information – either because they don’t fully understand how the product works (and are afraid that they’ll be asked a question that they can’t answer) – or because they want you to see the nice rosy picture without all of the corresponding thorns. If you’ve been presented the Jackson National MarketProtector 7 annuity by your current advisor, or through one that you met at an educational lunch or dinner seminar – it is probable that he or she pointed out the fact that you can maintain protection of your principal in any type of market. (This alone could be enticing after suffering large market losses during the 2008 recession and/or the 2020 Coronavirus pandemic). You also have the opportunity for market-linked growth. But, depending on the crediting strategy you choose, this annuity may use an annual index rate cap, which is another way of saying that there is a maximum amount of return you can earn each year – even if the underlying index(es) have a stellar performance. There may also be limited return due to the use of a participation rate. In this case, if the annuity has a participation rate of 80%, your account will only be credited with 80% of what the underlying index returned for a given time period. So, in this instance, if the tracked index returns 6% in a given period, an 80% participation rate would only provide you with a 4.8% return on your account. (80% of 6% = 4.8%). The advisor may also have highlighted the fact that you can count on an income stream for life. And this, too, could have peaked your attention, because running out of money in retirement is a fear that is high on all retirees’ lists these days. With that in mind, the guaranteed income concept of the MarketProtector annuity is another area where an insurance or financial advisor might focus when presenting this annuity to clients or prospects. But here again, an advisor who is being paid via a commission for selling you an annuity may or may not take the time to show you examples of how it could work (so that you know what to anticipate going forward). They may also not have the ability to show you a comparison of how an annuity like the Jackson National MarketProtector fares against other annuities. But Annuity Gator can! To check out the Jackson National MarketProtector consumer brochure, go HERE.
What About Fees on the Jackson National MarketProtector 7 Annuity?Fees with any type of investment can drag down your overall return. The same holds true with annuities. In the case of the MarketProtector annuity from Jackson National, there are a few areas you need to be mindful of. For instance, adding the IncomeAccelerator income benefit can cost you an annual charge of 1.25%. If you and another individual are both covered by the rider, the annual charge jumps to 1.40%. There are also surrender charges that could be incurred if you access more than 10% of your annuity contract balance within the first seven years of owning it. (If you choose the MarketProtector 5 or 10 annuity, the surrender charge period can differ).
Jackson National MarketProtector Annuity Surrender Charge Schedule
There Annuity Gator’s End Take on the Jackson National MarketProtector 7 AnnuityWhere this annuity might fit the best: Although this indexed annuity offers many nice benefits, it will typically work the best for those who are seeking the following attributes:
- Safety of principal
- Tax-deferred growth
- The opportunity for additional, index-linked growth, which can provide a higher return than a regular fixed annuity
- Guaranteed income for life
- Will need access to their funds within the annuity’s surrender charge period
- Do not intend to use the lifetime income feature
In SummaryWhile there are many factors that need to be taken into consideration when you are buying an annuity, one of the biggest concerns is making sure that the annuity is truly right for what you want – and need – it to do. With regard to the MarketProtector fixed index annuity from Jackson National Life Insurance Company, you can rest assured that you will have an income for life. But at the same time, depending on your other goals and needs, this product may still fall a bit short – and there quite frankly could very well be something else out there that is a better fit for you. If you have any additional questions on this, or other income-related products, we are here to help. We can also run side by side annuity comparisons in order to determine how various annuities might perform. So please feel free to contact us directly via our secure online contact form here.
Do You Have Any Additional Questions About this Annuity? Did You Happen to Notice Any Mistakes on this Annuity Review?We realize that this annuity review may have run a bit long. But quite frankly, we would much rather that you have “too much” information on this annuity than to not have enough. So, if you found this annuity review to be beneficial, please feel free to pass it on and to share it with other people who could also find value in it. (And, if you found it to be confusing, please also let us know that, too.) In addition, we are aware that information regarding annuities can, and often does, change. So, if you happened to notice anything in this review that should be updated or revised, let us know and we will be happy to make the necessary edits. Are there any other annuities that you would like to learn more about? If so, just give us a shout and let us know, and our team will get to working on them right away. Best, The Annuity Gator. P.S. If you would like to read more of our Jackson National Life annuity reviews here are some links to check out:
- Independent Review of the Jackson National Elite Access Advisory Variable Annuity.
- Jackson National Annuity Review – The Life Action Fixed Annuity.
- Independent Review of the Jackson National Perspective Advisory Variable Annuity.
- Independent Review of Jackson National Life BonusMAX Two Annuity.
- Independent Review of the Jackson National Life Perspectives ll / Lifeguard Freedom 7 Net Variable Annuity – [November 2018 Update].
- Independent Review of Jackson National Life MAX One XL Fixed Annuity.
- Independent Review of the Jackson National OptiMAX Three Fixed Annuity.
- Independent Review of the Jackson National RateProtector Multi-Year Guaranteed Annuity.
- Independent Review of Jackson National Life BonusMAX One Annuity.
- Independent Review of Jackson National Life MAX XL Fixed Annuity.
- Independent Review of the Jackson National Life OptiMAX 100 Fixed Annuity.
- Independent Review of the Jackson National Perspective L Series Variable Annuity.
- Independent Review of the Jackson National Elite Access Advisory Variable Annuity.
- Independent Review of Jackson National Life BonusMAX Annuity.
- Independent Review of Jackson National Life MAX One Fixed Annuity.
- Independent Review of the Jackson National Life OptiMAX One Fixed Annuity.
- Independent Objective Review of the Jackson National Life Market Protector 7 Year Annuity.
- Independent Objective Review of the Jackson National Life MarketProtector 5 Year Annuity.